Monday, February 22, 2016

offer to fetch.

I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you. John 14:18
I was reflecting on a pastoral visit I had with an elderly housebound couple that I had visited in their own home. They were very isolated from society, an elderly man caring for his wife for the past 20 years following her debilitating stroke and both were reaching out for some connection, just that human presence,  that human touch.Someone to journey with spiritually into the ending phases of their life. I thought of many people whose paths we tread as we bring Christ's love in friendship to the isolated and housebound. I found myself answering my own question of how to minister to these people and a small verse from a poem by Jean Harris came to mind:
Offer to fetch, Offer to carry. Offer to lend a hand. Offer to listen. Offer to stay. Offer time.......
to understand.

Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord.