Monday, July 27, 2015

lilies of the field

(Jesus said to  his disciples )There for I tell you, do not worry about your life. Luke 12:32
This lovely passage of scriptural encouragement and advice from our Lord should stay with us at all times yet how often do we forget it in the moment. Worry and anxiety about every day things, things here today and gone to morrow seems to be part of every day life for some and in hindsight did the worry change anything?  Jesus must despair with us at times. He must wonder how much does it take to get his message through. The message of faith and trust  in him. I treat myself to three long stems of beautiful lily buds every week or so (they last for ages) and as the buds gradually open over days to reveal an often unspeakable beauty and fill the room with a deep, rich perfume, I am reminded over and over again that Jesus said: 'Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like these.'  To me the lilies are a daily prayer. A daily visual reminder that God is present and in control of all things in our lives. The lilies  are like an icon that can be looked at,admired, yet I  see beyond it, deep into it and discover the richness and beauty and a message from God.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord.