Monday, November 18, 2013

solid ground

' The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge'. 
 2 Samuel 22.2
It stands on the side of the mountain through all weather, torrential rain, fierce sun, gale force winds and storms, this massive granite outcrop that  occupies a large portion of its space solid, firm, unbreakable, strong and despite its massive presence I use to climb this mountain as a child and sit for hours on a large outcrop pondering the valley below  with a great sense of peace. I suspect that its crevices and 'spaces' are places for shelter and safety for the animals and birds that call the  rock their home. I get the impression that if it were to rain forever, and all the soil was washed from the mountain that it
 would still be standing, solid and firm, unmovable and steadfast.
God is our rock. When he occupies a large portion of our space or when we climb and crawl onto his lap he becomes a solid place of refuge. When all else falls away he is still there, strong, firm, permanent. Steadfast and everlasting are the words the scriptures use.
The Sunday School song said it all I think: 'The wise man built his house upon the rock.'
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord.