Friday, May 10, 2019

A great millstone

If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were thrown into the sea. Matthew 18:6
I clearly remember sitting on some rocks around the ruins of the synagogue  of Capernaum and reflecting on its importance for Jesus as a place where he taught. I looked  alongside it to a very large mill stone that was lying on the ground. That image has not left me. I hadn't realised that they were so big and  this passage from Matthews Gospel came to mind. I looked hard and long at it and  prayed that God would keep me close to him in strength and integrity. Marcus Aurelius said: 'Never esteem  anything as an advantage to you that shall make you break your word or lose your self respect.'
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord
It wouldn't be a case of swim with around your neck.