Friday, August 23, 2013

Jesus among us

'Lord Jesus stand among us and bring your healing love. May we know your presence as we break bread together.Give us your peace.' (APBA)
A small, frail, elderly lady sat  among the others gathered for the Communion service at the aged care facility.I had been told she had dementia and she had forgotten much. She sat quietly, just looking at the floor, not engaging or participating until we sang our final hymn, 'Jesus loves me this I know.'  She didn't move, she showed no emotion, she held the hymn book closed on her lap but her lips mouthed the words and her eyes seemed to be looking down the years of knowing. As I looked at her my heart melted. I felt a deep sense of peace, of hope, of assurance and of  being on sacred ground. All else might be seemingly lost to her but there is Jesus. His presence was  alive in the very words she mouthed ' Jesus loves me this I know.'
How important it is to retain the old hymns and the old familiar version of the prayers. especially the Lords
Prayer. They allow inclusion and familiarity for those who seemingly have lost all else.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord.