Monday, April 25, 2022

Anzac day

 Jesus stood among them and said: Peace be with you.' John 20: 19

I needed to spend some time in my sacred space yesterday after coming home from the Ukraine Orthodox Church in North Canberra. There, in the church grounds, among the dying, fallen leaves of  the autumn trees were a multitude of wooden crosses draped in children's t-shirts splashed with red paint.  It was confronting, it sent images through my mind and a pain deep in my heart that was like a sharp dagger, I was stricken with a deep sadness.  As I reflected on the crucifixion of Christ, his suffering and death and then his rising again I though 'the Ukraine country and its people are  in the midst of their Easter Saturday.'  I wondered would humanity ever see that the way of peace is love. I pray God will change the heart and mind of the Russian leadership and Ukraine will have its day of resurrection.  The Sunday Collect makes this a possibility as we read: Living God, from whom no door is closed, no heart is locked: draw us beyond our doubts, till we see your Christ and touch his wounds where they bleed in others. This we ask through Christ our Saviour.

Peace to them who are far off and peace to those who are near.  Anne, servant of the Lord.

                                                Ukraine Orthodox Church North Canberra.