Monday, June 20, 2016

tissue thin spaces.

By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and the numberless stars by the breath of his mouth. He gathered waters of the sea as in a water skin. Psalm 33:6-7 (APBA)
What imagery!
I was telling the story of creation using the flannel graph. I laid the blue background for the sky and one by one added the yellow stars. I laid the blue of the sea, adding a wave or two and as I did this I had a real sense of creating. It was one of those 'thin places' experiences. A tissue thin space between earthly and heavenly things, and it was as powerful as when I read the story of creation. My thoughts went to the stars....by the breath of God's mouth....imagine God opening his mouth and a whole stream of stars coming forth and placing themselves in position where they landed.....some clustered like the milky way, some isolated on their own yet ever so bright and I think to myself 'what holds them up there?' My thoughts went to the sea. What contains it? This huge water skin laid down in the base of the ocean before the waters were gathered into it and I imagine the arms of God around a huge mass of water, squeezing it into the water skin, there to be contained.
What a mighty God. No wonder we keep coming back to him for there is nothing that he cant do. There is nothing he cant provide.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord