Monday, June 13, 2016

rise and shine

O for a heart to praise my God. TIS 568
Some people say 'why do you get up early? Frost on the ground and in the air, a chill that cuts right through you?' and I reply 'well its like this.' The still,  waters on the pond that mirrors every reed and bull rush as if they are growing upside down are just about to be disturbed as the first of the wood ducks emerge from within them. The rising sun clips every blade of frosted grass across the paddock as if I was looking through  a kaleidoscope, lighting them in a million, million clusters of crystal colours, breathtaking! and the drops of dew on the cobwebs that hang from the fence wire show a crafted  brilliance no human  could make and beneath the windowsill of a house I pass the tiny blue wrens are seeking their breakfast from a trapped insect and bolder still is the magpie who sits on the lamppost cherishing the taste of the moth he has acquired for his breakfast and Oh there is so much more to cherish and give thanks for. And I know that if I were to get up a minute later than I do for my morning walk all this would no longer be, it would have passed into activity and business. And you know, there is in each and every thing a prayer, a prayer in the ordinary. And now they come to the tree in front of my window again, the blue wrens, the willy wag tail and the red rump finches. All of this, that is why I get up early.
Mary Oliver writes: Every day I see or I hear something that more or less kills me with delight.....grow wise with such teachings as these, the untrimmable light of the world, the ocean's shine, the prayers that are made out of grass.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ
Anne, servant of the Lord