Monday, October 20, 2014

look on the heart

The Lord  does not see as mortals see;they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. 1 Samuel 16-7
What a privilege it is to be with the people  on the margins of society. Those often described as different or of no value or worth. Its working with vulnerable people that I find the greatest privilege in  my life. The isolated elderly give me the gift of their life story, endurance and experience, those who have a disability give me the gift of their humor, their love, their ability to face all sorts of challenges in life . I feel so close to God when I spend time with them. I guess its because they are the people that Jesus mixed  with and asked us to care for. Somehow when I am with them I can see, as he would have, beyond their outward appearances. I can see beyond that to the 'real' people that they are. Just like you and me. I love this story: (Paul Prough)
'While walking along a river bank on afternoon, I cam across a rough looking character shabbily dressed, gazing intently at something near the waters edge. I was suspicious of him and tried pass by quickly. He turned towards me and I dared look at him. He was smiling! relief flooded through me. 'Aren't they beautiful? he said and as I looked among the weeds there was this mass of purple-blue violet flowers.'
May God help us to look at the heart and not the outward appearance.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Servant of the Lord.