Friday, April 11, 2014

stone of help

Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah and named it Ebenezer, for he said,' Thus far the Lord has helped us.' 1 Samuel 7:12 NRSV
I am often reminded of this text when I reflect on a small, round, smooth stone that I have on my prayer desk with the word 'peace' carved on it. Somehow when I look on the word on that stone I have a sense of the ever present help of the Lord and how that word alone, set on a rock can calm what ever storm might be raging and affirm the victories won. It reminds me of God's faithfulness throughout my life.It reminds me that Jesus came into our world to bring peace and peace comes to us when we surrender to his will.
I like this translation from the TEV. 'The Lord has helped us all the way......and he named it 'stone of help.'
How good to remember that God's help is just a stones throw away. As he was for Samuel, so he is for you and me.