Friday, August 4, 2017

Treasure the pearl of great price


O God the fount of wisdom, you have revealed to us in Christ the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price. (opening line of the Collect for 8th Sunday after Pentecost)
In my bottom draw I have a small, red velvet container and inside it is a string of  'real' pearls. I recall  the great excitement I felt when I purchased them on a cruise liner way back in the 1960's as a  gift for my mother who had never had the chance to own such a precious  gift.  Her joy was almost in describable. Somehow I connect this story with the parable of the pearl of great price. Once we find it;once we receive it; our lives are filled with joy and even more so, once we give it to someone else their lives are also transformed into experiences until then, unknown. I have a lonely isolated lady in the community that I visit who has no joy and no hope in her life. I am going to take the red velvet container with the pearls in it and tell her this story  of that pearl of great price.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ
Anne, servant of the Lord.
A string of pearls in the spirituality tin of hidden treasures.