Friday, December 23, 2011

holiday or holy day


' Joseph (also) went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee,to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem.' (Luke 2:4
So much of my recent pilgrimage to the Holy Land just jumps out at me from the pages of the bible. I can't read of the Christmas story without saying to myself in humble excitement, 'I know, I know, I have been and seen.' But you know, everyone of us can take the road to Bethlehem each year through the way we see and celebrate Christmas; by the way we treat Christmas day as a holiday or a holy day.
I was touched by a comment passed to me in the supermarket just yesterday by one of the staff frantically trying to keep the shelves stocked. He looked at me and connected with who I am and said 'Its a very busy time of the year for you too isn't it.' To be known as a follower of Christ, a traveller on the road to Bethlehem, in our local community is what blesses me so much about Christmas. He was stacking the shelves with gifts yet within himself he knew the greatest gift; The gift of Jesus, the Christ and Saviour of the world.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ may Christmas be a holy day
Anne