Friday, December 3, 2010

pockets of darkness


' What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do: and the God of peace will be with you.' Philippians 4:9

In the dawn of the day I could see, dotted in folds of the dark hills and lower ridges of the mountains the occasional house light, bright, shining, evident in the dark, some alone, some in clusters.

When I was in rehabilitation the patients would gather in the small dining area together for a meal and I would listen as some talked and some sat in silence. I thought about how some people sit in pockets of darkness and what an opportunity for a light to shine. As I sat with a small group of about 4 people someone asked me what work I did. My revelation lead to being invited to say grace before we ate, it allowed the others to let down their guard and allowed them to share their life story, their fears, anxiety and apprehension and their faith. After that conversation more and more gathered to share a meal and many hovered there at supper time to ask for prayer.
Steiner Rice says:
'Give us strength and courage, to be honorable and true, practicing your precepts in everything we do.'
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne