Monday, October 12, 2009

The lost sheep


‘Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? Luke 15:4

Yesterday I was preaching about the Diaconate and mentioning stories of God’s love ..................................stories of the children from school.

After the service a man came to me, tears in his eyes and said, ‘You have made me cry.’
Immediately I apologised and sought to console him. ‘No, ‘ he said,’ it’s alright, it’s just that you have been one of only a few people who have said out openly from the pulpit, for all to hear, that there is a special place in God’s heart for people like my disabled son. ‘Today,’ he said,’ others now know I bring my son to church because God loves him.’

How often are we ‘welcoming and nice ‘but never so inclusive that we do not give hope? How often do we talk openly about those with less ability than ourselves, openly in the context of giving hope and affirming the loving and care of the parent.... as a very special gift from God, only given to special people? Ministry in our daily lives is about giving life to others.......we hold the treasure of the knowledge of life. Let us use it to be life givers.

‘This is just a wheelchair,’ says a seven year old girl with spina bifida. ‘God made us in his likeness, so I guess at one time God was in a wheelchair.’ (Creating an Inclusive Worship Community)
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne