Monday, November 20, 2017

warm gifts from God

I will sing forever of your love O Lord. (psalm 46)
        my peace be upon you forever
Its only a small thing, rather insignificantly sitting on my kitchen bench but it holds memories that make me smile every time I pass it. Its a small white jug that was given to me some time ago, full of violets and today it holds the memory of yesterdays walk, a  bunch of sweet smelling Jasmine that I plucked from its vine that was growing as one in an oak tree by the path I walked. When I saw it there dressed in yellow and white and flanked by green I found myself having a conversation with God for the rest of  my walk, about the beauty of his creation especially in unexpected pockets of almost hidden delight. In my conversation I reflected on the words of  Mary Oliver. ' Love for the earth and love for you are having such a long conversation in my heart.' 
Go slowly, slowly enough to not miss what God has put in your path today so its memory stays tomorrow and the next tomorrow and the next as a warm gift from God .