Friday, February 21, 2020

And I laid their names on the altar

'......As they went out, they came upon a man from Cyrene named Simon; they compelled this man  to carry the cross  with Jesus.' Matthew 27: v32
As I walked down the Via Dolorosa in the Old City of Jerusalem I passed a large number of pilgrims with hand held crosses making their way through the Stations of the Cross to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Some were singing and many were crying, obviously moved by the experience and as I came to the small side chapel marked as the place where Simon offered to help Jesus carry his cross, I stepped inside a moment while the pilgrims passed and reflected.. 'Who in our lives do we help to carry their cross? Who do we walk alongside helping to carry their load, their burdens and to my mind came many who I walk alongside in life and many who walk with me and I laid  their names on the altar of the Chapel of Simon of Cyrene.
Grace and peace from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Anne, servant of the Lord
Via Dolorosa - The way of the cross